Home     About Us
Relocation Resources for Relocating ClientsCorporate Services and Programs for H.R. ProfessionalsLog On to Resource Library

Tips for a Successful Relocation

Please note that we keep the following Tips and Suggestions current, however procedures and laws do change often or at the discretion of any specific government employee. OneWorld cannot be held responsible for any changes at any time that differs from the most current information listed below. 10/08

Protecting Your Identity

Identity theft is the deliberate use of someone else's identity. The fraudulent acquisition and use of a person's private identifying information, usually for financial gain. The identity thief may use your information to fraudulently apply for credit, file taxes, or get medical services. These acts can damage your credit status, and cost you time and money to restore your good name.

DO NOT give any personal information on the phone to anyone who calls you nor provide personal information to any emails that look suspicious. There are various scams asking for your 'legal' name, or the last four digits of your social security number, or your bank account because you 'won the lottery' and the funds will be deposited. Simply hang up whether the caller is 'live' or 'robotic'.

You may not know that you're the victim of Identity Theft immediately. You could be a victim if you receive:
  • Bills for items you didn't buy
  • Charges on credit card for purchases you did not make
  • Debt collection calls for accounts you didn't open
  • Denials for loan applications

Prevent Identity Theft

Keep these tips in mind to protect yourself from identity theft:
  • Secure your Social Security number (SSN). Don't carry your Social Security card in your wallet. Only give out your SSN when necessary. Your Social Security number is a master key to your personal data. Guard it as best you can. When you are asked for your number, ask why it is needed and how it will be protected. Do not trust caller ID. Scam calls may show up on caller ID as the Social Security Administration and look like the agency's real number.
  • Strengthen your passwords - Random combinations of letters, numbers and special characters, different for each account, work best. Your mother's maiden name and your pet's name aren't hard to find.
  • Don't share personal information (birthdate, Social Security number, or bank account number) because someone asks for it. Can strangers see your full name, birthdate and family members' names on social media sites, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter?
  • Collect mail every day or as often as possible. Place a hold on your mail with the Postal Service when you are away from home for several days. You can also sign up for Informed Delivery through the USPS, which gives you a preview of your mail so you can tell if anything is missing. https://informeddelivery.usps.com
  • Pay attention to your billing cycles. If bills or financial statements are late, contact the sender.
  • Use the security features on your mobile phone.
  • Public WiFi - Update sharing and firewall settings when you're on a public WiFi network. Use a virtual private network (VPN), if you use public WiFi.
  • Create complex passwords that identity thieves cannot guess. Change your passwords if a company that you do business with has a breach of its databases
  • Review statements - review your credit card and bank account statements. Compare receipts with account statements. Watch for unauthorized transactions.
  • Shred documents - shred receipts, credit offers, account statements, and expired credit cards. Any credit card or bank statements that someone could fish out of your garbage shouldn't be there in the first place. Shred junk mail, too, especially preapproved offers of credit. This can prevent "dumpster divers" from getting your personal information.
  • Store personal information in a safe place.
  • Install firewalls and virus-detection software on your home computer.
Review your credit reports once a year. Be certain that they don't include accounts that you have not opened. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies; Equifax, Experian and TransUnion to provide you a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. In between those requests, you may choose to opt into monitoring websites such as, CreditKarma.com or AnnualCreditReport.com to monitor your credit and also watch your score for changes. The sooner you detect a problem, the sooner you can fix it.

"Phishing" is the fraudulent practice of sending emails or texts claiming to be from reputable companies, that encourage individuals to reveal personal information, such as password, PIN, debit and credit card numbers.

Reputable companies will never ask clients for password or PIN information via email, text message, or telephone.


Bringing Animals into the U.S.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333

TTY: (888) 232-6348

 Click Here:  CDC Website for Bringing Animals into the Unites States


How to locate your Electronic I-94 Record

For our clients arriving into the United States through any United States airport, you will receive your entry document called an I-94 in the form of an electronic record.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is no longer issuing the paper Form I-94, but rather creating this electronic record of admissions and stamping passports.   The passport stamp includes an annotation with the class of admission and duration of admission.

You will need to print out a hard copy of the electronic record at your earliest convenience in order to apply for bank accounts, credit cards, driver's license and a social security card.

Click Here to Access the I94 Website

(Foreign nationals arriving at a land border continue to receive a paper Form I-94 from U.S. Customs)

If for any reason, you experience a problem in being able to locate your electronic I-94 Form in the new automated system or receive error message "Not Found", please read the resolutions below as many times the data is formatted in the system differently than you have entered it.  While we have seen some system errors, we urge you to try all of the resolutions below before having to go back to the airport for a potential correction:

Firstly, ensure data is entered correctly in all applicable fields.

Use your name on the passport, rather than the visa (if these are different) to access your I-94 record.

The FAQ page instructs individuals to enter the first and last names as they appear on the "travel document" used to gain admission to the U.S.

If you still cannot pull up the proper information via the name on your passport, then enter your name as stated on the VISA.    Check your passport and VISA for all name variations and attempt to enter the name as stated on each document.

Also try these variations of your name:

  1. Enter the first and middle name in the first name field. In the first name field, type the first and the middle name (if any) with a space in between. Do this even if the middle name is not stated on the passport or visa.
  1. Switch the order of the names. Switch the last and first name when entering the information on the website. Some countries state the name in the passport as first name, last name, rather than the more standard order of last name, first name. This may cause the name to be recorded incorrectly in the CBP system.
  1. Enter multiple first names or multiple last names without spaces. If a person has two first names or two last names, type the first names without a space between them or the last names without a space between them. Example: type the first names "Mary Jane" as "Maryjane."

Check for multiple passport numbers.  Also, check the passport number stated on the visa. If the passport number is different than the current passport, enter the passport number stated on the visa.

Do not enter the year if it is included in the passport number. Some passport numbers may begin with the year in which the passport was issued, causing the number to be too long for the relevant field in CBP's automated system.  If relevant, try entering the passport number without the year.  For example, a Mexican passport that was issued in 2008 may have a passport number that starts with "08" followed by nine digits. Try entering the passport number without the "08." This problem should not arise for newer Mexican passports, as those passports do not begin with the year.

Check the classification. Check the classification designated on the visa and compare it to the classification stated on the admission stamp in the passport, as there may be a slight variation. Be sure to try both designations. For example, the visa may state E-3D for an E-3 dependent, but the admission stamp may state only E-3. The automated I-94 could state the classification either way.

If none of the above efforts resolve the issue, you will need to call or visit the CBP Deferred Inspection Office and explain the problem. Some of the deferred inspection offices have been able to resolve the problem over the phone without an in-person visit; however, other offices may require an in-person visit.

Click this PDF for the phone number to your Deferred Inspection Sites (xls-75KB.)

CBP encourages you to contact sites not located within an international airport to establish an appointment, if necessary. In many instances, the location of your final destination where the discrepancy will be resolved may not be the port of your first arrival into the United States. Mail-in procedures are generally not available.

Contact information for the deferred inspection offices can be found here: Deferred Inspection Sites(xls-75KB.)

Customs Border and Protection is the point of contact for resolving admissions errors.


Specialized Packing Tips

The list of individual household items is endless.  Here are some additional packing tips when working with one of our movers.  If you want a more comprehensive list of how to pack special items, drop us a line.

Bureau Drawers - Don't overload.  Too heavy a load can cause damage.  Remove firearms and any items that might break or leak.  Firearms, along with serial numbers, must be registered with your van line representative before the move.

Canned Goods and Other Non-Frozen Food - Pack upright with no more than 24-30 cans per carton. Don't attempt to move perishables.  Wrap glass containers and boxed foods individually and pack in small cartons.

Frozen Foods and Plants - Because of the delicate and perishable nature of these items, your mover is prohibited from accepting these packed items when your shipment is being transported more than 150 miles and/or delivery will not be accomplished within twenty-four (24) hours from the time of loading. Frozen food shipped within these guidelines must be packed in a freezer which at time of loading is at normal deep-freeze temperature.

Clocks - Remove or secure pendulum in large clocks. Grandfather clocks should be prepared for moving by expert servicemen.

Drapes and Curtains - Hang drapes over crossbars in wardrobe cartons, or pack folded in clean cartons. Remove curtains from rods, fold and pack in cartons or bureau drawers.

Flammables and Combustibles - Flammable liquids and aerosol cans must not be packed. Changes in temperature and pressure can cause them to leak, or even explode. For your own protection, you should know that if you pack these items and they cause damage to your shipment or others, you, not your mover, may be held liable.

Lamps and Lampshades - Remove bulbs, harps and shades. Roll up cord. Pack lamps with bedding or wrap separately and place upright in clean, tissue-lined carton. Wrap harp and finial (decorative knob) with packing paper and tape to inside wall of carton that contains shade. Wrap shades in tissue, not newspaper. Place upright in large, tissue-lined cartons.

Medicines - Seal caps with masking tape. Wrap and pack upright in small cartons. If needed during travel, carry with you.

Mirrors, Paintings and Pictures - Tell your agent about valuable paintings for special care. Wrap small mirrors, pictures, paintings, and frames and place on edge in cartons.   For added safety, place tape diagonally across mirror to protect better against damage.  Do not place newspaper directly against paintings.

Personal Computers and Video Recorders - Pack valuable electronic equipment in original cartons when available. Otherwise, use strong, corrugated cartons and place protective padding on the bottom of the carton. Wrap an old blanket or protective pad around the item and place it in its carton. Place additional padding between the carton and the computer or video recorder. Wrap cords separately; label to identify usage and place in a plastic bag away from delicate surfaces. Non-detachable cords should also be wrapped. Place cords between the padded computer or video recorder and the carton. Be sure your personal computer is "parked" and ready for transport.

Tools - Drain fuel from power tools (do not ship Flammables under any circumstances). Pack tools in small, strong cartons. Wrap separately if valuable.

Waterbed Mattresses - Drain all water from the waterbed and, grasping internal baffle systems with external vinyl, fold mattress 20 inches at a time. Adjust folds to avoid making creases across individual baffles. Consult your owner's manual for special instructions concerning the care and transportation of your mattress. Do not place your mattress in a carton with sharp or pointed objects. For further information, ask your Relocation Specialist for a copy of "How To Move Your Waterbed."

Cars and Motorcycles - Cars and motorcycles shipped on the moving van should be drained nearly empty of fuel. Motorcycle batteries should be disconnected. Automobile antifreeze should be ample to protect against severe cold in winter.

Barbecue Grills and Propane Tanks - Wrap grates and briquettes separately in a newspaper (or place all briquettes into a grocery bag) and place parts in carton. Pad carton with paper to reduce movement of contents. Propane tanks are non-allowables. Consult your local gas grill distributor for the safest method.

Your OWR Move Manager is available to answer any specific questions you may have.

What you cannot ship

  • For your own protection, do not ship securities, money, stocks, tax returns, home closing or personal loan papers, furs, jewelry, watches, coin or stamp collections, precious stones, eyeglasses, prescription medications, plants, or animals. You should hand carry these or find a suitable courier for these effects.
  • For safety reasons, do not ship combustibles, caustic agents, paints, perishable foods, canned soft drinks, propane tanks, and fuels or their containers. It is illegal for the moving company to carry any of these forms of household goods.
  • Common articles not covered under account policy include firewood, lumber, dirt, sand, building materials, tool and utility sheds. Other items that may not be covered under account policy include commercial machinery, personal watercraft, and recreational vehicles as well as their associated trailers.


  • Due to account policies and provisions we are normally unable to provide storage of vehicles.
  • Storage of household goods beyond 180 days will be considered permanent storage and incurs additional monthly and delivery insurance charges not generally covered under account policies. You may be responsible for these additional charges.


  • At loading you will be required to sign the bill of lading and inventory prior to the driver's departure. The bill of lading indicates the amount of materials used in the move while the inventory lists out and describes the condition of all household good items being moved. Please review these documents for accuracy before signing.
  • At delivery, you should carefully check your copy of the mover's inventory and note on the driver's copy of the inventory any obvious damaged and/or missing items.


  • Your belongings are covered under a valuation protection policy that protects your household goods being moved for the current value of the items.
  • In the event of damaged or missing items, do not file a claim with the delivering moving company. Note the damages on the driver's copy of the inventory in the driver's presence and notify OWR immediately. OWR will mediate your claim.
  • Should there be damages to your residence (i.e. walls, floors, lawn, etc.), note the damage on the driver's copy of the accessorial services sheet in the driver's presence and notify OWR immediately. OWR must be notified within 48 hours of the damage in order for property damage coverage to be considered.
  • Do not discard or repair any damaged items without first contacting OWR. An insurance adjuster may request an inspection of all items on the claim form. It is not necessary for you to obtain repair estimates prior to submitting your claim unless OWR has provided instructions to do so.


9010 Strada Stell Court #208, Naples, FL 34109 - Ph: 239-330-3802